Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Where the Wild Things Be At

We lost another talented famous person (as opposed to just a famous person; don't expect me to mourn any of the Jersey Shore cast if and when they shake off this mortal coil, though I'll feel bad for their relatives). Maurice Sendak died this morning at 83.

What with Adam Yauch and George "Goober" Lindsay, it seems like a bad time to be a celebrity who has actual talent (My favorite thing about Lindsay was when he appeared on Newsradio to give testimony that a skull purporting to be his own was a fake. He handled the skull, paused to look at it, and answered "no"). It's the rule of three.

I only read Where the Wild Things Are a few years ago, when I was working at the local library, and I had ten minutes to kill. It's a quick read, from an adult perspective, but the real part of the book that sticks with you is the imagery, which is amazing. Having harbored aspirations of artistic talent (not really borne out by my drawings, though I think they're charming renderings of the Hindenburg in flames or a Sopwith Camel mid-pursuit of the Red Baron), I can appreciate good art. I love album covers that aren't just "this is the band, standing on a pier" or "hey, look, the band is making a pillow fort." My mom has a good eye for art, and underneath the picture I've seen of my dad, it says that he was an art major. Go figure.

Anyway, that's my view on the whole subject. Be sure to check out Paste Magazine online for my review of Levon Helm's book (I had a link to copy and paste, but I copy and pasted something else and I'm too lazy to go back and get it...or am I?)

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2012/05/this-wheels-on-fire-levon-helm-and-the-story-of-th.html

It turns out I am more industrious than I thought today.

No comments:

Post a Comment