Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mormon Is the New Black

Some random observations about the upcoming election: it seems pretty much a certainty that President Obama will be facing a pretty tough opponent, one that will keep him up nights worrying about their next move, how to counter it, and what the American people will think.

I am speaking, of course, about Fox News. Mitt Romney? Can you say "four more years"?

But ole Mitt is more than just your cartoonishly out-of-touch rich guy; he's a religious out of touch rich guy, a Mormon, to be precise.

And that is causing some stir in the left-of-center blogosphere, of which I truck with even though I'm not gung-ho about Obama Version 2.0 myself (hey, he got Bin Laden, one year ago. What more do you want?).

It seems that Mitt is becoming the new JFK, by which I mean his religion is an issue (not his out-of-touch rich guyness, which I keep harping on because it's true. He has no idea how you or I live, fellow low-income holder). I won't pretend to know much about Mormons, other than that they own Utah, they can't have sugar or booze, and they seem awful smart (Ken Jennings is among the flock). I personally have nothing against Mormons because I don't know that I've ever come across much in the way of anti-me bias in Mormon theology (I'm a white male, I mean, of no deviant sexual practices do I partake, though there was that one time in Vegas...nevermind).

Mormonism is the punching bag in a lot of the "South Park" guys' work, I do know that. But they poke fun at anything and everything.

To me, what's important is not Mitt's Mormonism, it's his out-of-touch-rich-white-guyness. Is America ready for four years of that (again)?

No comments:

Post a Comment