Thursday, August 2, 2012

Must Be the Money

"Jeopardy" is a little over a week away (or is it two weeks...no, August 13, which is a Monday, so...wait, how do I carry the square root...I may be in more trouble than I think), and in all the time I've had to think about the ramifications that possibly appearing on the show could have (assuming I make it past the audition stage in New Orleans...in the middle of hurricane season. I am a master of timing), my own personal philosophy about wanting to be on the show has changed over the years.

When I first started trying out for the show (online testing), I was interested in acquiring a record total, something not quite in the Ken Jennings territory but close (in other words, I didn't want to have to work again). Now, as I actually stand on the precipice, I'm more inclined to believe that money doesn't buy happiness (though it can buy you peace of mind...hey, maybe I should write commercials).

Granted, I still want to do well, very well indeed, should I be picked to be on the show (and the waiting period could last long enough that maybe I'd actually have something approaching financial stability whenever I get on, but I wouldn't bet on it). But in life in general, after having seen up close (from a very non-likeliness of participation in the riches viewpoint) how money and wealth don't always mean your problems go away, I just want to make enough out of life to not owe anything when I'm gone (many, many centuries from now) and to take care of my family, should I happen to have one (working on it as we speak, though I've said that for years now). Most of all, I want to be able to avoid the pitfalls of believing that, if I just get this or that opportunity to make money, all my worries will be gone.

Just take a second to check out any of the news outlets devoted to celebrities, the ones who are famous for being famous (or Kim Kardashian); theirs is a whirlwind circle of seeking attention by being fame whores who get paid to be fame whores and who don't really contribute anything to society (unless you count reality shows as contributions to society, and I'm inclined to disbelieve that notion). Who wants to do that, really? All the money in the world, and the minute the cameras shut off it's like you're nothing. Until the eventual reunion show.

God help us all...

Anyway, looking forward to the trip there and back (I always wanted to see Mississippi, though preferably through the rearview mirror), and I'm hoping at the very least I have a hell of a (responsible) time in the Big Easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment