Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bourbon Street Is Decadent and Depraved

Second day in New Orleans, first full day of sight-seeing (and only, as myself, my sis and her finance plan to abscond with the loot...I mean, leave town tomorrow after my Jeopardy try-out. Yeah, that's the ticket), and I know that technically we didn't do a whole lot of venturing beyond Canal Street and a side-jaunt down Bourbon Street, but we got to do more than enough.

The trip down was much better than any previous long-ass trip in a car during which I was a participant (I think it helped that we were all well past the age when farting in an enclosed space was a source of amusement, though that did not preclude any involuntary passing of gas). Georgia minus Atlanta was rural but pleasant (our path through ATL was nice because we didn't have to deal with traffic. My thinking is we won't be so lucky tomorrow). Alabama was notable for a couple of things: the fact that my future brother-in-law and I wore Clemson shirts in Auburn was not received kindly by the locals at a Firehouse Subs there (much harsh stares and possible brandishing of nooses could be inferred), and the stretch from Montgomery to Mobile (which I took over on after my sis expressed exhaustion at having driven so far, because she thinks I drive too slow for the interstate) was devoid of anything besides trees, more trees, grass, the occasional wild goat, and trees. Not even a fireworks warehouse billboard to liven up the scenery.

That particular stretch of Alabama answers my question "why do people take drugs?"

Mississippi was a revelation; as a kid who watched Mississippi Burning at a tender age, I've always been under the impression that you don't want to make a Mississippian angry (also, they still have the Rebel flag on their state flag). But the Gulf Coast, at least, was awesome; sandy beaches with gentle tides coming in, not at all like the Atlantic at Myrtle Beach (also, a significant lack of tacky tourist trappings at Biloxi, where we stopped). After that, it was on to Louisiana and New Orleans...where we happened upon Canal Street overrun by young college-age men in red dresses. Either it was some sort of charity/fraternity thing, or their drag queens have really quite trying.

Culture shock, thy name is New Orleans...

Today was a little better in that regard, NO is both urban enough to feel like a big city and Southern enough to be weird about it. I know we won't be doing much more while we're here (the Jeopardy thing is in the morning, and we all miss my niece something awful), but I want to come back, at my leisure, and see all the stuff that's here. It helps that none of us had an agenda (i.e., "I wanna see some big tourist trap!"), but I will be back sometime in the future. While wandering away from the excess of Bourbon Street (best way I could describe it: Clemson on a Thursday night, magnified by a large percent. The country boy in me is coming out, but really, apart from a trip to NYC and a passing familiarity with DC, ATL, and Greenville, my frame of reference was pretty small before now), I happened upon a little bookshop that had some long aisles I wanted to wander down, had I more time. Alas, I bought a book by a guy about New Orleans jazz because I figured that's what you do in New Orleans (plus, I already own and cherish a copy of A Confederacy of Dunces). This city is amazing, and while we did a lot, we just scratched the surface.

Anyway, long day ahead first of Jeopardy, then driving home (not sure if I drew the short straw on that yet, though it's the least I could do). Tom-Tom should be programmed to take us through a more-wild-goat-infested part of Alabama on the way back (or steer us to the nearest Jareds Galleria of Jewellry), and I pray for patience while trying to navigate through ATL, whether as driver or passenger. But hell, this has been a kick-ass trip all around, and whatever happens with the show, I'm glad I got to take it.

Could've used some Skinimax on the hotel cable, though ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment