Friday, August 17, 2012

A Confederacy of Dunces Couldn't Keep Me Away

New Orleans is long past my rear-view, the Superdome is majestically behind me (sweet Jesus, my entire hometown's downtown could fit in there), and I'm possibly on the contestant list for eighteen months (still unsure, if I never hear from them I guess I know for sure).

Boy, is my brain tired...

The "Jeopardy" try-out, I'm not at liberty to divulge the questions (excuse me, answers) but I feel pretty good about how I did. At least, I think I did good. Driving out of NO later that afternoon (following a trip to a riverfront mall where I spent way too much on an Eli Manning Giants shirt, but I don't regret it because I felt on top of the world), I could safely say that, win or lose (or draw) I was glad that I got the opportunity to go.

On the way back, we stopped on the Gulf Shore (at Gulfport this time) to take in the beach. Only thing is, I was still wearing my fancy Jeopardy clothes, so I couldn't really get in the waves or anything (well, I could have, but then I'd be hoping I dried out on the long drive back). There is a good photo of me that resulted, looking like I'm keeping the beaches clear of illegals while looking fashionable. Alabama wasn't any more interesting between Mobile and Montgomery, so I drove that stretch while my sister rested. Atlanta was banging at ten that night (we lost the hour that we'd gained back on the border between Alabama and Georgia), and the next thing I remember is waking up just as the familiar sights of my street went by. Needless to say, my sis and future bro-in-law crashed at the house that night, and we all got a fairly wore-out night's sleep.

So I'm back, and I'm glad I went. I would love, love, love to get on the show, but I got a pretty good trip through a part of the country I'd never seen (all of it, even the boring parts, was worth it). I've got a few souvenirs, some memories, a lot of cameraphone pics, and an experience that will be hard to top. But it will be harder to go back to "sad bastard Trevor," at least for a good long while. Because who the hell thought I'd get a chance to try out for Jeopardy? Anything is possible...even finding a real, non-tranny woman on Bourbon Street.

Okay, that might be impossible...

No comments:

Post a Comment