Sunday, May 31, 2015

Internet (a Play) ...actually, a poem

I don't consider myself a poet, but for one of my classes last semester we had the option of getting creative and so I chose to do so. I'm self-publishing this here because current events have caught up with some of the subjects (like the Royal Baby being born) and because I like it in spite of the fact that I'm working in a format in which I am not terribly comfortable. This format was inspired by Gertrude Stein's work, and I hope it's playful while being serious. At any rate, enjoy:


I

 

Internet

Inter net

In ter net

In her net

I sink, I find

Myself after long nights

Staring at photos

 

II

 

A play should consist of acts

Actors

Sets

Dialogue

Scripts

Audience

Internet has some, but not all

Of that

 

III

 

Meet the stars of the play

Of the interplay

Of the internet

Avatars all

(and really, who uses their

Real picture anyway?

 

IV

 

Someone said

“Let there be no love poems until

There is justice between the races”

And someone else said “At night, alone,

I marry the bed”

And yet another someone said “I am Dionysus, son of Zeus, come to

Thebes, where my mother gave me birth, struck by lightning.”

 

V

 

This is where the audience applauds.

 

VI

 

            The last century saw wars, famines, genocides, religious intolerance and wholesale murder of entire groups of people. And they had the telegraph, the telephone, the moving picture, the still picture, radio, and television. You really think an email sent just in time can stop a war?

 

VII

 

Isn’t it nice to think so?

 

VIII

 

I’m Henry the Eighth I am

I got married to the widow next door, she’d been married seven times before

And every one was a Henry

(Hmm, makes you wonder

Why men keep marrying her

And why they keep turning out dead

It wasn’t a rock, it was a rock lobster!

 

IX

 

Now comes the part when I confess

Roman numerals past this point are confusing

So I’d better make this count

A conversation is a conversation is a conversation

Did I mention?

“A Poem for Speculative Hipsters”

Preach on, Baraka

Blast manifesto

Blast the manifesto

Blast the man with your festo

Fist-o

 

X

 

Okay, after this point we’ll be taking

Suggestions from the audience

Improv, improve, im-prove

Mindless chatter of the mindless classes

Autocorrect my spelling, spilling

Aught to correct Mickey Spillane

Puns, puns, puns

No fun (said Iggy, circa 1969

Ten years before I was born

I like old stuff, I make no apologies

Hipster before there was hipster

And now my hips are old

Puns, puns, puns

Crisis in the Middle East

Scott Walker in the Middle West

The Duggars breeding like rabbits

 

XI

 

Is it unfair that I’m creeped out by them? No one talks about how such a religious family fucked their way to TV fame, but seriously? Why do we assign morality to celebrity? Aren’t the two mutually exclusive? If Tim Tebow could throw a forward pass, would it matter how much he dry-humps Jesus? As I write this, “the world is waiting for William and Kate to have their next child.” I crank up “God Save the Queen” by the Sex Pistols, constitutional monarchy means “the royals are figureheads” so who gives a shit?

 

XII

 

Truth or dare

Dare

I dare you to speak the truth

Puns, puns, puns

Truth is, I’m not a poet

Bet you didn’t know that

Love poems, love poems, I love poems

Just can’t write them

See what I mean?

Sacred Profanity

Profane Scarcity

I would love to be in love

Or at least in like

Online, on the line

Line on you, girl, hypothetical

 

XIII(?)

 

Love is lovers love to lovers love

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

See you on the flip side

The Cool Side

Standing alone at the dance, watching the girls dance

I have no business dancing

I have no business writing poetry

I have no business writing poetry about dancing

I have no business dancing about poetry

“Dancing About Poetry”

Hmm, sounds like a title

14

 

Christ the redeemer

Christ, the redeemer

Christ, it’s the redeemer

Sacred profane puns, puns, puns

Love to love you, baby

In my head, I’m Marvin Gaye, singing “Let’s Get It On”

To a girl, any girl

In reality, online, looking at her pic

I wonder if she likes or tolerates me

Or if she even knows who Marvin Gaye is

 

15

 

This was going to be a lot shorter and less neurotic

 

16

 

But poetry should kill, poems should kill

In the name of love?

Sure, why not

Or maybe love in the name of killing?

Nah, Manson-esque

Girls, girls, girls

How did Motley Crue get in here?

Well, while they’re here, confession time:

I used to want to grow up to be Slash

Or Sambora, or somebody with long hair and who could play

Guitar

Girls, girls, girls,

They seemed to like those guys when I was growing up

 

17

 

Never mind I don’t like to let my hair grow out,

Nor can I play any instrument

 

18

 

Have I mentioned this was supposed to be shorter?

 

19

 

Like, two pages, tops

 

20

 

            In the grand scheme of things, I can’t complain. I grew up not knowing my father, but my mom did a great job and my grandparents were there to help. I was not neglected, molested, abandoned, or rejected to any significant degree from my family. So how can I be a great writer? I know alcoholism runs in the family, but knowing is half the battle. I have spent time working enough customer service jobs to know I don’t want to work in customer service anymore. I’ve come close but never quite achieved deep and lasting love with a woman. I had acne in middle school. Girls don’t like pizza-faces. I’m still aware of lingering doubts about my ability to attract a mate, in my own mind. I’m funny, which is a help, but sometimes I’m too funny. Women I like might not take me seriously. Online connections are great, but I could go for the real-life ones if I weren’t so shy. Terrified. Convinced I’ll fuck it up somehow.

 

21

 

By the way, notice I switched away from Roman numerals?

 

22

 

Catch-22, Yossarian Lives

 

23

 

A friend of mine said online

The Roman Empire fell because they

Put Christians in charge

I’m tempted to reply that the Goths had more to do with it

So we should keep our eyes on Hot Topic employees

And Robert Smith from The Cure

 

24

 

I have fears that I’m more interesting online

 

25

 

This is where the audience applauds and leaves, satisfied with another great performance onstage

No comments:

Post a Comment