Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Great Two-Week Hiatus Between Work and Grad School

Friends, Romans, countrymen...I am out of a job for the time being.

By choice, mind you, by choice...my tenure at Tigertown Graphics (yeah, I said it!) ended this past week, on a Thursday instead of Friday because Friday starts the new pay period and I graciously decided that a check for one day of work wasn't worth it. So let me say to those TTG folks that I'm friends with on the Book of Faces: thank you for putting up with me for four years. I can be a handful (i.e., a pain in the ass sometimes), but I did enjoy the times when I wasn't being made to do work (I am incredibly lazy) and if you're friend with me on the Book of Faces, it means that I want to stay in touch with you (some of my peeps don't have Facebook accounts, so holler at me via smoke signals if you must). There is one particular person I don't want any contact with because he was always licking on me and stealing my food and just being a real hound with my free time. I speak, of course, of Dundee.

(Dundee was the dog/mascot of the back-area printing crew. Dogs can't have Facebook accounts)

Anyway, I am now in that limbo between work and grad school (and the assistantship that comes with it: I got the gig I wanted - helping with the Literary Festival - now it's just a matter of harassing Jonathan Lethem enough to get him to visit us in SC). I have a lot of free time, more free time than I really need, I think (but I won't volunteer any of it away for fruitless causes). I have plenty of time to get online and make an ass of myself (again, perhaps too much time). Right now I'm staying close to home because my grandma is away on vacation and my grandpa wanted to stay put. I'm reminded of how awful summer TV programming is, but I'm doing more reading-for-fun than anything else. Right now I'm in the middle of a Steve McQueen biography. I just finished a book about the outbreak of WWI in 1914. I'm covering all my bases.

I need to spend as little money as possible, I'm okay but I don't get paid by the school for a while so it might not be a bad idea to be a little thrifty. I'm looking forward to it, scared to death by it, and just in general preparing myself for some uncharted territory. I'm grateful for the opportunity, and I just hope I don't screw it up.

So, enjoy the last few weeks of summer, my friends, because once school starts back it's on like Donkey Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment