Saturday, December 14, 2013

Wrapped Up in Books: My Year In Reading


I did a lot of reading this past year, but then I did a lot of reading last year; it's kinda my thing. But I feel like noting some of the memorable reading experiences I had this year. Some books that I read were great or good; others weren't so much whether I finished them or threw them away after reading only a few pages. Here then are just a few of the books that took up valuable time that could be spent otherwise.

Let me begin with where last year ended, with my purchase of Moby Dick by Herman Melville. In terms of "things to cross off my bucket list book-wise," this was massive (I also want to tackle the great Russian writers someday, but not today). For such a weighty tome with a difficult reputation, the book proved surprisingly fast-paced and easy to get through, even though it took me six months of on-off reading. And yes, the white whale is just that, a whale...unless it isn't.

Charles Portis has been a recent addition to my personal canon of "authors whose every word I must read" (the others being Graham Greene and Walker Percy). I came across a copy of the great-if-obscure The Dog Of the South at a used bookstore (this was a great year for me to indulge in my pursuit of bookstores to spend money at, as my groaning shelves would attest). Speaking of Greene, his last novel The Captain and the Enemy goes on the list of "well, now I can say I read it." It's not up to The Power And the Glory, but it'll do as a last statement from the writer whom I've come to believe wrote more truthfully about the twentieth century than anyone else.

And speaking of Percy, Lancelot is a fantastically twisted mindfuck of a novel. I heartily recommend you seek it out.

So far, the list is a lot of books that didn't come out this calendar year; older books caught my fancy at used bookstores (the 2013 books weren't likely to be there, except as just-slightly-less-than-retail prices). Don DeLillo is someone whose works I've only taken nips and tucks at before, apart from a college assignment to read White Noise. Great Jones Street was the first book of his I've read for fun all the way through; it will not be the last. Saul Bellow is similarly someone whose work has yet to interest me enough to seek it out, but I came across Humboldt's Gift for a buck at a library book sale and decided it was worth it. David Foster Wallace is a Melville for our time, in that he wrote a book with a reputation for gargatuan heights of literary fancy (Infinite Jest). I decided to stick with something a little easier to digest, a short book he co-wrote about hip-hop circa 1990. Signifying Rappers may not have always made sense (especially with its dismissal of the early Beastie Boys), but it was one of the best music books to read when it was reissued this year.

Music played a big role in four of the books I read this year that did in fact come out this year: Questlove had the most interesting musician's memoir in Mo Meta Blues, while Rob Sheffield continued his trilogy of music-as-conduit-for-memoir with Turn Around Bright Eyes. Nathan Rabin went on the road with ICP and Phish in You Don't Know Me But You Don't Like Me, while Chuck Klosterman took on the notion of villainy in pop culture with I Wear the Black Hat. Sports also played a role in my reading this year: Phil Jackson's Eleven Rings lead me to his previous memoir Sacred Hoops. Basketball also played a role in the best deal I've ever scored at a Goodwill store: Bill Bradley's Life On the Run for ten cents. Bradley and Jackson were both part of the early-Seventies Knicks dynasty, and for some reason that's been my favorite basketball team to read about lately. Bradley could've been president; Jackson did become the coach with the most championship rings in NBA history. Football is another sport I like reading about, and even though he went to the much-hated-in-my-heart Georgia Tech, Bill Curry wrote possibly the best football book I've ever read in Ten Men You Meet In the Huddle.

I like to read books in fits and spurts, but sometimes a good one gets going and before you know it, the clock on the wall is several hours past where you thought it was. I read Robert Hilburn's Corn Flakes with John Lennon in a day. Same with Elmore Leonard's 52 Pick-Up (I picked it up after Leonard's death; I can be a bit of a literary necrophiliac when someone famous whose work I've never read dies). James Watson's The Double Helix went by quickly, too, though I think I let it rest a night before I finished it. I took a week to enjoy Richard Ford's The Sportswriter. Will Leitch's God Save the Fan was a bargain find at a bookstore where I enjoy a good streak of luck, as was Will In the World, a biography of Shakespeare that is worth seeking out.

Pat Conroy came back around into my life, almost twenty years after I had to read The Prince of Tides and tried briefly to get through his other novels. My Losing Season (about his stint as a Citadel cadet and basketball player) was informed by the evolution of his relationship with his abusive father, while My Reading Life was about a shared passion with myself (books and bookstores). It was a kick to see a familiar name (Bill Koon, one of my favorite professors at Clemson) mentioned in Reading Life, strumming a guitar around Paris in the Seventies.

Not everything I read was bought; my worn-out library card can attest to that. I read a Shakespearen take on Star Wars: A New Hope, Larry McMurtry's interesting Walter Benjamin At the Dairy Queen, Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, and many more. Probably the biggest thrill for me was getting Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge and then finding myself powering through neary five hundred pages of paranoia, conspiracy theories, and private-detective genre fiction in less than a week. It's easily my pick for book of the year.

Finally, a book that was a gift: Lester Bangs' Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung. If there is a patron saint of rock criticism, Bangs is it: his back-and-forth with the now sadly deceased Lou Reed is indicative of the love-hate relationship we all have with our favorite artists in whatever medium. For sheer exuberence with just a hint of chemical assistance, he's hard to beat. No one can really ever write like him, but I'd like to think that someday an anthology of my most misbegotten Internet work over the years (much of that done on websites that are defunct now, but I'm sure that nothing ever gets lost online) can be cobbled together and put together in an attractive fashion (preferably while I'm still alive; posthumous literary fame isn't really something I'd aspire to). Writing about music is something I enjoy doing (obviously), and I hope I can make a living at it or at least indulge in it as a distraction from some of the more mundane aspects of modern life. Lester Bangs got a shout-out on one of R.E.M.'s best songs; it's hard to beat that.

My apologies to any authors whose work I've left out (now I feel like I'm getting the wrap-it-up cue) but you know who you are, whether your books helped me get through the year or whether they just wasted my time for a brief period. As long as I can remember, I've been a reader, and I don't see much of a chance of me hitting Literacy Rehab any time soon. It's an addiction, to be sure, but it's probably one of the healthier ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment