Monday, December 30, 2013

Lou Reed, "Goodnight Ladies"

And so 2013 is almost at the end here, as I write this. It's certainly been a year, that's for sure...

At the end of the calendar year, it's always bittersweet to think back on the people we've lost, whether on a personal level or famous people who passed away. I'm fortunate in that none of my immediate family passed this year, as far as I can recall. But I did lose some famous people that I'd rather not have lost. The two that spring to mind immediately are Lou Reed and Roger Ebert. I've written about their passings before now, so I won't belabor the point except to say that both were pretty important to my pop-culture education.

2014 should be interesting; I'm taking my sweet time applying for grad school, but I'm working on it. I'm trying to get in for the fall of 2014, if I don't get in for that then I'll try again for the spring of 2015. I've had my share of wage-slave jobs in the real world, where a degree doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to. I'll do it as long as I have to, don't get me wrong; but I would like to actually use my degree to achieve something.

Jeopardy's online test is in a week, I've registered so I'm hopeful that I do well enough to be re-invited to try out for the show like I was in August of 2012. The try-out location closest to me was Savannah, Georgia, which is closer than New Orleans and another city that I've never been to (as far as I know). I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if I do get to go to Savannah I have to say I don't really know what there might be tourist-wise worth checking out. The ball's in Savannah's court to blow my mind like New Orleans did a year ago, if I get to go.

And so adios, 2013. There were some highs, there were some lows, but through it all I had my faith in Scientology to get me thru (just kidding). Adios to Lou, Roger, Peter O'Toole, Elmore Leonard, and a whole slew of other people who are now front and center in end-of-the-year montages of "those we lost".

No comments:

Post a Comment