Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Sounds of Summer

A quick look at what's on the radio lately:

Pink featuring Nate Reuss, "Just Give Me a Reason" - this is about the most overplayed song right now, it's decent but doesn't really bear up well to repeated listens. I can't shake the feeling that Nate is the voice of the Fairy Dad on "Fairly Oddparents" (I have cousins who watch Nick and Disney religiously, so I know more about kids's show than any thirty-three-year-old without kids should). Someone I know has this as a ringtone, so every time I hear it I look to see if someone's phone is ringing.

Robin Thicke featuring Pharrell and T.I.. "Blurred Lines" - I have to say, this is my favorite radio song so far this summer, it's very reminiscent of "Got To Give It Up" by Marvin Gaye. I understand there's a version of the video where the hot models are topless. Alas, I am much too puritanical to look for it...

Bruno Mars, "Treasure" - First time I heard this, I thought "are you fucking with us, Bruno?" I couldn't take it seriously. But I concede that I'm warming up to it. Imagine if the future of music had been Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen."

Mumford and Sons, "I Will Wait" - Remember when this band was new, and you couldn't wait to hear their new stuff? Yeah, that's over now.

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis...no, not even gonna pretend I can talk about them. They're the Vanilla Ice of this generation. Trust me, one or both of them will be in a reality show with Verne Troyer before it's all said and done.

The Lumineers, "Ho Hey" - They're the Mumford and Sons of 2013. I hated this song for a little while last month, but it's slowly won its way back into my heart. The follow-up single ain't too shabby either.

Emeli Sandie, "Next to Me" - Another song that would be decent if not overplayed to death. It's on pace to be this year's "Somebody That I Used to Know"

Taylor Swift, "22" - We get it, you're twenty-two. Shut the fuck up about it.

Florida Georgia Line featuring Nelly, "Cruise" - Can we all agree that this is the worst goddam song ever? Not even "worst song of the year" or "worst song of the century." Just awful, awful.

Vampire Weekend, "Diane Young" - To end on a positive note, this is not even the best song on the album (I think "Hannah Hunt" might be even better), but it's a start. Ezra Koenig and company are welcome in my CD player anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment