Thursday, February 21, 2013

Trevor Seigler's Day Off

Cue Ferris Bueller theme...

That's right, bitches, I'm taking a day off from my place of employment (name withheld because I remember what happened the last time I wrote about work online and, well, that doesn't merit a repeat performance, does it?). Why? Because I can.

The urge to take a day off during the work week has been building for a few weeks now, simply because (like laying out of school one day during your teen years) there are just so many things that you can do on a weekday other than be inside (albeit being paid to be inside, when you're talking employment). Without (again) revealing anything about where I work (though it is on my Facebook profile...so yeah), I can say that this time of year is really the optimal time to take a vacation day or two (though of course, the weather outside suggests usually that it's actually the worst time to take a vacation day. I mean, who wants to swim on the beach in February? Other than old people, and Jackie Mason. I have no idea if Mr. Mason does or not, I'm just glad to be free for a day and giddy and over-typing like a madman!). It's safe to say that I am not the only person who has taken advantage of said lean-time availability of days off, though I have no pressing concern that demands my presence. I simply wanted a day off.

With pay, of course.

Ideally, this day would be devoted to doing a lot of the things that I do on weekends: riding around and wasting gas because I need to get out of the house once in a while. Alas, my funds are low at this point in the week (bills, bills, and more bills) and while I'm waiting for my tax refund ship to come in, I'm trying to be better about my spending habits (such as "not having them"). So this is strictly a cheap-ass affair today, nothing that I can justify spending more than ten bucks on (this includes lunch. I hope for a home-cooked dinner as a favorite aunt of mine is back in town for the week, but such things are not preordained).

So why the day off, with low funds and no real "legit" reason? Because, barring holidays where I wasn't allowed to work (because we weren't open) I really haven't had a day off during the week since I went to New Orleans in August, and I felt like just one day out of the week would suffice to take me out of the cocoon that is everyday working week experience. I caught Ferris Bueller's Day Off on Comedy Central a few weeks back and (other than marveling at the damage age and marriage to Sarah Jessica Parker has done to Matthew Broderick over the years) I felt like dammit, I also deserve the chance to drive around Chicago on a bright summer day with Mia Sara and Alan Ruck. Or some reasonable facsimile thereof.

Because like the man says, sometimes you gotta take time to appreciate the things around you.

I just hope Ed Rooney is nowhere around, trying to buzzkill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment