Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Colbert for Pope!

Just kidding...or am I?

February is my least-favorite month, because 1.) it's short, 2.) it comes right after January, which means that I'm still trying to catch up with that month's bills because I have additional things I have to pay, and usually work is a little slow this time of year, and 3.) it's the month that has my least favorite holiday...

President's Day.

Actually, Valentine's is the day I speak of, a mass-marketed, Hallmark-approved holiday in which one is supposed to go all out in the pursuit of some token that will let a special someone know that one is "in love" with them. And in my case, the offered token has never really led to the promised land of "Valentine's Day nookie" that I have often sought.

But I'm cool with that because (allow me to get sappy here) every day should be Valentine's Day. Not the cookie-cutter greeting-card romantic-comedy-starring-Jennifer-Aniston kind of holiday (I am firmly of Patton Oswalt's view that every romantic comedy should be called Who is Jennifer Anniston Gonna F*&K This Week?), but just set aside time every day to let people know that you care. Even if you have to fake it because you're related to them.

Anyway, I watched most of the Grammys for the first time since...well, since Arcade Fire won album of the year (2011?). It was nice to see CBS not screw up a major live event one week after the Fradulent Bowl in New Orleans got a thirty-minute delay due to someone not paying the Superdome's power bills. I think the 49ers got robbed, and I'm a Giants fan for pete's sake.

While I appreciate the clip of Adam Yauch in the "In Memoriam" roll, I do wish they'd taken a moment to dedicate a musical performance to the Beasties. He and Levon Helm were musical pioneers in their different fields, so it was nice to see the tribute to Levon from all those folks.

Anyway, February is almost over, my tax refund is in the mail, and barring a major health scare (you can only find out you have gallstones once) or car issues, I hope I can hold on to more of it than I have to spend for said issues (because something always comes up). And I hope my friend Sara finds a job soon. She's pretty awesome, potential employers who might be reading this.

And I hope you all have a magical Thanksgiving...Ramadan...whatever the hell holiday it is tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment