Friday, June 29, 2012

Stupid Kids, With Your Donny Osmond records and "Dukes of Hazzard" Lunchboxes!

You know how the age of email began, and everybody was like "wow, some guy in Nigeria really needs my help money-wise, and it can benefit me in the long run too!" Then suddenly you realized that every email you got from someone who wasn't someone you already knew was basically a scam?

It is into this era of distrust that the email from "Jeopardy!," the world's longest-running quiz show/Alex Trebek appreciation society, arrived in my inbox Monday.

At first I thought "this is bullshit," because these things don't happen to me. Mine is a life lived with few moments of good luck and many of bad luck (see previous entry about computer dying if you don't believe me). Yes, this was the fourth or fifth time I'd taken the test, but my expectations were low because, when you do something over and over again, you expose yourself to the law of diminishing returns.

But I'm happy to report that (so far) this seems legit (see, even now I can't really believe it): On August 13, I will have to be in New Orleans to take a test and/or talk to folks about why I really could use the money from a good run on the show (not asking for Ken Jennings numbers, but something decent). Perhaps I could tell them the funny story of when I got stuck in my own desk in sixth grade (no, really, that happened).

This is uncharted territory for the Trevster, and I now have to figure out how to share this news with my family without the overwhelming concern being "how the hell are you getting to New Orleans?"

Drive, I guess.

Anyway, Blogger now shows how many page views their clients get, and this has in no small way stroked my ego to see how often this page is viewed (though whether it's actually read is another matter). I would like to thank those people who view it, even if they're only here because they thought I had naked pics of Betty White.

I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment