Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Advertisements for Myself

Hi, if you're reading this blog you're one of two things:

1.) a friend or "friend" of mine on Facebook who either knows me in real life (I apologize) or "knows" me "online" (again, I apologize), and you've been led here by the inevitable link I post to this on my Facebook page. For that, I thank you, and promise never to write about that one time you helped me bury Willie Joe McCallister behind the old Winn-Dixie in West Union. I know nothing, I see nothing...

2.) someone who has stumbled across this blog inadvertantly, perhaps because you were Googling "Trevor Seigler" for some reason and this came up, or you just like randomly reading blogs online.

If you're of either group, and you have a publication either internet-based or hard-copy-based (he-heh, "hard copy"), please do allow me to ask you if you would like very much to have the sort of wit, panache, and gift with Word Processing errors that you see here added to your endeavor, with the promise of money changing hands (though not necessary).

I've been free-lance writing (or making it sound like I do that, even when I refrain from writing anything for a while) for about a decade. A lot of the contacts I established are now out of the business, for various reasons not related to my having written for them (I think). I started out very aggressive, in a "look at how clever I am!" mode, when I used to email editors countless submissions (most of which literally, not figuratively, came out of my ass. Literally). I am well past that now, but I do feel more restrained in asking editors to read my stuff (sort of a shuffling my feet, "aw-shucks, you don't really have to if you don't wanna" style that I'm sure grabs the editor's attention but which I seem dead-set against knocking myself out of). It's not that I don't lack the ability to advertise myself as a writer (hello? Blog?), but I feel a little self-conscious about it.

Fact is, I would like to do some professional-grade writing for somewhere, and I've sent numerous emails to various sites begging, pleading, and offering things I'm not comfortable mentioning online for the chance to write for these publications. If you see anything about Siberia sliding into the sea, that wasn't me. Repeat, that wasn't me. Any and all advice about how to advertise my writing skills without coming off like a complete asshole (AKA Tucker Max) is appreciated. No spammers, please...okay, maybe one or two, but keep it to a minimum. I'm already up to my eyeballs trying to help the son of the deposed king of Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment