Saturday, January 1, 2011

1/1/11: Get On Your Knees and Kiss Your Ass Goodbye

I kid, I kid...

It's a new year, and Facebook isn't working, so I guess I'll have to do some random rambling here. No New Year's Resolutions per se, though those will come later; like most people, I have to think long and hard before I decide which things I'm going to say I stop doing but actually don't.

2011 doesn't have quite the same ring to it as "2010," but it's shaping up to be a big year. By that I mean, well, it's one year removed from 2012, so you know what that means:

Palin Watch '11: To Run or Not to Run
I won't bore you with predicting whether Sarah "I Run from Responsibility" Palin will run for prez in '12, that's not what this blog is about. It would require me to desist from navel-gazing long enough to consider other things. But I will say this:

You can't spell "Tea Party" without KKK

Anyway...
This is my last weekend slinging hash at the hotel I have worked at since mid-July, on account of having a full-time job in Clemson and wanting my weekends back (and now that I'm reasonably financially sound for now, knock on wood and kiss my four-leaf clover). I said I'd stay through the holiday season, and dammit all the holiday season is over.

I feel good about leaving, this is the first time in years I've actually left a job of my own choosing and that time worked out pretty well (I went from hating myself at Ingles to liking myself at the Clemson library and thinking too much of myself at the Seneca Daily Journal). Still, I will miss some aspects of the job: I actually learned to enjoy the drive down here at five in the morning, on account of having the roads to myself except for the odd cop or less-odd drunk. My confidence took a hit after being fired from the library, so finding a place where I could not only do the job but do it well helped a lot. And I never met a co-worker I didn't like while I was here; everyone has been nice to me and treated me pretty good.

The downside? Football season; so many hungry, entitled mouths, so little time. But it's not all bad; I do enjoy the rush of having to take care of a lot of things within a short timespan. It makes the downtime I've had this past month all that much more enjoyable; I've earned the right to goof off primarily because I worked so hard to keep thinks going during football season.

So I'll miss this place, and I'll probably miss the paychecks as well (I'm hoping to get something going on the writing front, more on that later), but I'm glad to get out when I am. I'm not averse to being tied down to one place, but I want to do more with my life than what I've done so far. Every job I've had, I've taken something away from it (in the case of Ingles, they still don't know about how much "free" ice cream I used to eat), and this one gave me a place to get back on my feet, survey the damage, and start cleaning up. For that, I will always be grateful.

Don't forget to tip...

No comments:

Post a Comment